Don’t worry – I promise not to use the word ‘unprecedented’.
That said, some of the products and innovations that have come across our desk since the pandemic began have certainly made us chuckle. From the promotional products that quickly scrambled to fill a ‘perceived’ need to the quirky gimmicks that have embraced the changing landscape, here is some of our favourite Covid-19 merch.
1. Custom Spray Ball Pen: With searches of hand sanitiser increasing by 762% since February it is little wonder that the so-called ‘Sanitation Innovation’ products are coming out in force. The humble pen, which has long been a promotional merchandise mainstay, can now be purchased with the addition of sanitiser to spray on demand. Available in nine colours – all equally ridiculous – but brownie points for effort.
2. Facial Mist Sprayers (with a twist): Potentially inspired by our new found fear of touching our face, this range of products allow you to spray yourself with a fine mist of either mineral water and milk (what?!) or disinfectant (wtf?!). To ensure you get the most branded merchandise for your buck they also double up as either a USB charger, power bank or portable fan (cute animal bobblehead optional).
3. Social-distancing headgear: With strangers and friends alike being required to keep their distance (1.5 meters) there was always going to be a gap in the market for headgear that complied. From the preposterously oversized cardboard crowns at Burger King to the German cafe who gave their patrons pool noodle hats there have been plenty of businesses who found creative ways to meet our demand for space.
4. Face Recognition Masks: Whilst still only in the pre-production stage, these masks are intended to allow both your friends and your phone (or other facial recognition devices) to still recognise you in the midst of a pandemic. Artist Danielle Baskin set up Resting Risk Face to ‘play into the dystopia’ of creating a virus-related product in the midst of a pandemic and in doing so created quiet the stir on social media. Watch this space/face.
5. Thermometer Airpods: Whilst we can certainly see the merit of infrared temperature checks in high-risk/high-traffic areas (hospitals/airports/schools etc.) it never occurred to us to think of pairing a standard health check with listening to itunes. That said, for those of you who want to whip out your earbud case and temperature check your friends, family or fellow commuters the good news is now you CAN.
At Inck, we are huge fans of innovation and embrace the chance to seek out wild and wonderful products that will get your brand noticed. However, just because a product is clever, funny or relevant to the Covid-19 crisis it doesn’t mean that it aligns strategically with the merchandise marketing that is right for YOUR business. So, if you are looking for promotional merchandise that will keep your brand clear of the ‘5 weirdest…’ lists, give the Inck team a call today!
#covidmarketing #promotionalproducts #brandedmerchandise #facemasks #sanitiser #inckmerchandise #weirdandwonderful